About the course
Strathlene is one of the oldest golf courses in Scotland first established in 1877 when the ground was gifted to the town by the factor of Seafield Estates, Mr Bryson.
The original 9 holes were created between Portessie and Strathlene House, where 2 of the holes were situated in the area which is now the Caravan Site. The original clubhouse was situated at the entrance to Portessie railway station.
In 1936 the course was extended to 18 holes with the purchase of ground on the headland between Strathlene and the village of Findochty, and was designed by Mr George Smith of Lossiemouth. At the same time the original clubhouse was dismantled and relocated on to the cliff top overlooking Strathlene, where the current clubhouse, built in 1974, now stands.
Although the Club members had owned & ran the clubhouse and were also responsible for the cost of maintaining the course for many years beforehand, it actually purchased the course and the adjacent football pitch from Moray council in 1997.
Using the ex-football pitch area and land leased from Seafield Estate the Club completed a new Golf Training Facility in 2004, which consists of practice bunkers, pitch and putt, putting greens and a 14 bay driving range. This is a community project run by the club for the youth in particular, but is open to all members of the public.
Booking are required - and availability is at the club's discretion.
|Day||Low season||High season|